10 August, 2013

Mommy and Me Date

So as the kids get older we (Chris and I) are trying really hard to get one on one time with each child.  For the smaller ones that can be wrestling on the floor or cuddling while we watch a cartoon.  For Joe and Evie it means something with a bit more planning.

Every month I go to Costco for our family.  It usually takes a few hours so I began to invite Evie with me to give Chris a little easier time at home.  Thus began an opportunity to have a "date" with one of the older kids.  Now I really play it up.  We eat Costco hot dogs and sodas (they get their very own - huge deal!), shop for our stuff while we giggle and laugh (they get to ride the giant orange cart - we have a big family and I only go once a month), and after loading all of our stuff into the car, we go get a treat.  They usually get home just after bedtime, a treat in itself, and tell everyone who might be awake what treat they chose.  It's been a good experience.  Now they trade off each month.


Well this month's Costco visit was Joe's so I had to find something else to do with Eve.  Recently for her birthday a fantastic grama gift arrived.  It's a book of tons of ideas for Mommy and Me dates.  It was wonderful.  Last week we spent an hour going through the ideas and picking one.  Then we spent a little time planning the activity that Evie chose.  This time Evie chose to do a Mommy and Me Movie date.  We listed about 25 movies she wanted to watch together and today we picked one.

She chose:


It was so funny!  We already had seen it, but to do it with just us was really fun.  Evie even invited Lizzy to join us.  Joe was at football practice with dad and the little ones were napping this morning.  We had a great time and every time Evie or Lizzy wanted to rewind and watch a part again we did (well to a certain point - I did want to finish the movie).  By the end their bellies were full of BBQ potato chips, chocolate pieces, and Dr. Pepper soda.  I got to spoil - it was fun.  We also had a great moment when Evie was cuddling with me and Lizzy was cuddling with Evie.  It was so cute and brought a teary moment up.  I love my girls!


So glad Chris made the special time a priority.  I would have eventually, but it's best to start young.  Great Daddy thought!

No comments: