16 September, 2009

"Home" Alone

September 4th 2009- Hours after ASBC graduation (which ended at 10:00 am) I headed for the Montgomery airport to take the shortest 2 flights I have ever taken. One from Montgomery to Atlanta (my 4th time in 6 weeks) which took less than 1/2 an hour! My second flight was from Atlanta- busiest airport in the U.S.- to Columbia, SC. That flight felt more like 20 minutes.

Just like that I was there. Where? Home... for the next 3 years or so. I was home, but all alone. Once I arrived in Columbia I rented a car that would last until we bought our first van.
Here is a picture of my rental, a Ford Fusion. I liked this better than the 2004 Impala I rented last time. I was really spoiled by the satellite radio. Talk radio + 90's grunge = heaven. Listening to Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, and Candelbox mixed with talk radio... I digress, anyway she was a great car that I shed a tear when I returned her.
Believe it or not, I made it from Columbia to Shaw AFB - about an hour drive- all by myself without my trusty navigator- a.k.a. Tamy). I found my lodging in no time. I thought I had it good at Maxwell until I opened the door to my new room. This one was twice as big with an LCD TV! Below is a picture of the building, my room was on the top- which sucks when you have to carry $130.00 worth of groceries plus your luggage. As for the weather, it was pretty much the same as Maxwell. Sept 6th- Thanks to the local library I was able to print a map w/ 3 sets of directions (which I used all 3 to get to 1 location). From the base it is about a 1/2 hour drive to church. Even though I arrived 30 minutes after it began I still managed to make it for sacrament- go figure. The ward is actually pretty big. Recently they combined the military ward with the local ward, partly due to priesthood issues that the military helped fill. The good news is church starts at 10:00 am. Met some good people, the Bishop, and sang in choir. Also got my records transfered over.



1 comment:

Renee' P said...

Glad to see that you're getting settled in your new home!

I'm reading the posts from newest to oldest, but It's great to see all the pics!

I bet you'll be a great addition to the ward choir :)