27 September, 2013

The Military ID

So it finally happened for real this time!  My ID is gone.  No, I didn't lose it, the guard at the gate took it away!  Before you get any interesting ideas as to why an MP would take my ID let me tell you what happened.  My ID was expired!

Honestly, I had the odd impression that ID's just never expired or that it was so long until it did expire that I wouldn't ever have to deal with it.  I know, makes no sense, but that was my thought process.

Then the methods to get a new ID were not particularly simple.

1- find all identifying information needed (you've not had to bring so many pieces since you had a background check)
2- bring it to a building you've never been in and never will be in again
3- contact your sponsor (spouse) and convince him/her that they need to somehow get out of work in the middle of the day to come down to above mentioned building for a two minute interview to remind the ID giver that indeed, you are still married and a dependent.
4- find a way to keep any children busy for a 20 min wait before your two minute interview to which they may not attend.  (you may want to enlist the above mentioned spouse to hang out until YOUR interview is over)
5- take ridiculously horrible picture rivaling any drivers license picture you've ever taken (don't forget that this ID lasts twice as long as ANY driver's license)
6- thank the office assistant at the front desk for the joy of the whole process.

Ok, so it wasn't THAT bad, but yes, each number was what really happened.  The kids did a great job and the office workers were the people who got me through each step as this was my first renewal.

See?  At least the office provided a place to sit and read for the kids.



They did so well and Chris was kind enough to take off his lunch hour to help me out.

No comments: